Mader’s Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, 3rd Edition
- Highly knowledgeable, well respected, recognized specialists add a global view of the subject matter.
- Details on creating, building and maintaining your herpetological veterinary practice
- The extensive biology of a wide variety of species is covered, including snakes, lizards, turtles, crocodiles, tuatara and amphibians, providing an understanding of the unique anatomy and physiology of these species, which is a vital prerequisite of medicine and surgery.
- Spellings of all North American reptiles and amphibians approved by The Committee of Standard English and Scientific Names ensures students have the most up-to-date naming conventions for these exotic species.
- Thorough coverage of taxa-specific husbandry and management practices, as well as current nutritional recommendations, advances in lighting, welfare, and behavioral training.
- Dedicated section on infectious diseases (virology, bacteriology, mycology, parasitology) and laboratory diagnostics
- Detailed, step-by-step techniques and procedures including catheters and feeding tubes, and modern recommendation on hospitalization and euthanasia.
- Completely revised chapters on sedation, general anesthesia, analgesia, local anesthesia and amphibian anesthesia
- Completely revised chapters on radiography, ultrasonography, CT, MRI, scintigraphy, diagnostic endoscopy and endosurgery
- Greatly expanded medicine section details all major areas including urology, hepatology, cardiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, gastroenterology, pulmonology, neurology, oncology, endocrinology, theriogenology, musculoskeletal, vascular/hematopoietic/immunology, behavioral medicine, nutritional diseases, perinatology, geriatrics, emergency and critical care, toxicology and amphibian medicine.
- Completely revised and expanded surgery section includes the eye, ear, rhinarium, oral cavity, integument, coeliotomy and internal viscera, cloaca, amphibian soft tissue surgery, orthopedics and amputation.
- Expanded and updated therapy section on antimicrobials, anti-virals, anti-parasiticides, anti-inflammatories, including new chapters on psychopharmacology, oncologic therapies, photobiomodulation, wound management, and rehabilitation.
- A revised list of common conditions and diseases allows busy practitioners to review the most common, clinically significant, hot topics quickly and clearly.
- Expanded section on population health includes new chapters on commercial reptile farming, large collection management, breeders/wholesalers & retail, laboratory management, conservation issues and ecosystem health.
- Updated international, European and US legislation with new chapters on forensics and jurisprudence, expert testimony and court appearances.